OK, so Godfreys didn’t quite cut the mustard for our Fully-Franked Fund. What appears to be a potential bargain basement priced business is also a debt-laden company hanging on for dear life by a thread.
Retail is a dangerous environment these days – not so much for the customers, where discounting and bargains abound – but for investors.
We’ve had a number of well-known retail brands go bust recently:
- Oroton (November 2017)
- Live Clothing (November 2017)
- Topshop Australia (May 2017)
- Payless Shoes (April 2017)
- Howards Storage World (December 2016)
- Pumpkin Patch (October 2016)
- Dick Smith (January 2016)
A few others look to be on the ropes, including the great department store Myer, having been on a downward slide for years.…